As Jen and I drove across the state to Ann Arbor last night and to the hospital this morning, we could feel a wave of prayer and encouragement carrying us along. We are blessed to have heard from so many people joining us in caring for little Owen.
I could write a lot about our experience, but since it’s been a long 24 hours, here are the highlights:
- The professionals at Mott were amazing. They made us feel welcome and took time to answer all the questions we’ve built up over the past few days.
- We got a great look at Owen. The mass in his chest was measured very precisely. Since it was measured at a different facility last week and using a slightly different technique, it’s difficult to tell with certainty whether the size has changed in the past week. But now we have a great benchmark for gauging any changes going forward.
- Owen’s heart is healthy. (It feels really good to write that!) The ultrasound can be a little scary. Even with our limited experience, it’s not hard to tell the heart is pressed forward and to one side at this point. But the heartbeat is very strong. Our doctor reviewed his chest, abdomen, and head in detail. Thankfully she found no evidence of fluid buildup, which would indicate heart distress.
- Our boy’s CVR – a ratio measuring the size of the mass to his head – is still a concern. But it’s at the low end of what is considered problematic.
- Owen really loves to wiggle.
Jen is going to be checked twice a week in Ann Arbor through the end of the month. This will be a bit of driving, but it will allow our boy to be monitored closely. There are a variety of medical options available if Owen’s condition worsens. Our prayer is they won’t be necessary.
We are currently in our 24th week of pregnancy. Most CPAM masses stop growing by the 26th to 28th week. If we can make it through that period without Owen’s heart being impacted, our chances of a normal delivery without surgery before or immediately after go up significantly.
Thanks again for all of your prayer and concern. We have made each of our kids a stuffed animal at Build-a-Bear before they were born. Our whole family is off to the mall this evening to make a bear for Owen.